Montessori toys are designed to encourage the development of children's skills while respecting their learning pace and desires. Each toy is adapted to a specific age, enabling the child to progress harmoniously. In this article, we invite you to discover which Montessori toys to choose for each key stage in your child's development.
Montessori toys for babies from 0 to 3 months: sensory stimulation and exploration
In the first few weeks of life, babies need gentle stimulation to develop their senses and better understand their environment. Montessori toys recommended for this period are :
- Munari's motive Black and white geometric shapes attract baby's attention and help develop concentration and vision.
- Learning mat Ideal for allowing babies to move freely and explore different textures with their hands and feet.
- Rattles simple and easy to grasp, They encourage hand-eye coordination and develop the sense of touch.
Montessori toys for babies from 3 to 6 months: fine motor skills and prehension
From 3 months onwards, babies start to develop their fine motor skills and try to grasp objects with their hands. Montessori toys suitable for this age group are :
- The Octahedron mobile A collection of geometric shapes in primary colors to stimulate vision and interest in shapes.
- Stacking rings They enable babies to manipulate and stack objects while developing their coordination and sense of touch.
Montessori toys for babies from 6 to 12 months: exploring the world and cognitive development
Between 6 and 12 months, babies become increasingly curious and seek to interact with their environment. Montessori toys recommended for this period are :
- Gobbi's motive Made up of balls in different shades of the same color, it encourages babies to observe and compare hues.
- Built-in cubes They encourage thinking and reasoning while developing fine motor skills and prehension.
- Wooden puzzles They are simple and suitable for small hands, helping babies to grasp shapes and solve problems.
Montessori toys for children aged 1 to 2: gross motor skills and language development
From the age of one, children develop their gross motor skills and begin to walk. They are also more interested in social interaction and language. Montessori toys suitable for this age group are :
- The walking cart It allows the child to move around safely while carrying objects. See all our walking carts here
- Shape boxes They encourage thinking, shape recognition and the development of fine motor skills. See all our shape boxes
- The books especially those with realistic images and simple words, to stimulate language development and imagination.
Montessori toys for 2- to 3-year-olds: autonomy and specific learning skills
Between the ages of 2 and 3, children are looking to become more independent and master specific skills. Montessori toys recommended for this period are :
- Embedding puzzles They are more complex than those proposed for babies, and help children to develop their concentration, coordination and logic. All our puzzles.
- The activities of practical life For example, a small broom or sponge, to enable the child to imitate adults and take part in household chores.
- BOM cards They help you learn vocabulary and classify objects.
Montessori toys for 3- to 6-year-olds: school readiness and scientific exploration
From the age of 3, children are preparing to start school and develop an interest in scientific and creative activities. Montessori toys suitable for this age group are :
- Rough letters They encourage learning of the alphabet and preparation for writing.
- Mathematical material The Montessori beads and number bars make it easy to understand numbers and arithmetic. See our selection of mathematical games.
- Simple science experiments They stimulate curiosity and a keen sense of observation.
By choosing Montessori toys that are adapted to your child's age and needs, you'll be helping him to blossom and gradually acquire the skills that are essential for his development.